Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Son or Daughter

Yesterday one of my friends passed away. His name is Ken May and he was killed in Afghanistan by an IED. It seems surreal to me. I cried on the phone when his wife called me. He was a man that wasn't afraid of death, a Christian, a man that was straight forward and a man that I really loved to be around. One of my last conversations with him I asked if he was afraid at all to deploy and he said "why would I be? Worst case scenario is I go to heaven. I would love to stay here but if heaven is the worst that could happen to me there then why be afraid." I hope that is the perspective that you have. I also hope you are never in the military (I'll love you if you are) but I hope you're perspective on life is the same.

If there is anything I have learned it is that life is really short. You might never meet me, you might only know your mom and I for a few years. The stuff I want isn't important, the things you own are not important, how you show love to Christ and to the people you love is. I will be doing his funeral which scares me and excites me, but Ken would have wanted a party.

I love you. I wish you were here so that I could hold you and show you how much I love you. I got to see you yesterday at our ultrasound and it was so exciting. We have the picture somewhere in the house telling me if you are a boy or girl and mom won't let me peek! She is the most disciplined person I know. We are waiting until our gender reveal next Saturday when our family & friends can all be here.

I am praying for you and love you.

Dad

1 comment:

  1. I just want to let you know I prayed for you, Kris and the family of your friend. I will pray that God gives you the strength and will to celebrate your friend's life and the fact that he is "home" now!! Luv you guys!

    ReplyDelete